25. Head Fer The Hills

Tech-Talk

Part 23

Welcome to part 23 of our series

We're going to take a little detour this month.  With Field Day coming up at the end of June, I thought I'd share a few related thoughts.  We've been talking lately about DC power, with an emphasis on portable/emergency/temporary operation.  That sort of defines the purpose of Field Day, doesn't it?  And earlier in the series, we talked about SWR, antennas, feedline, and related topics.  For most entry classes, you'll need to install a temporary antenna for the weekend.  So you might want to review the whole series of articles, tarting from the top.

Keep in mind -- as always, Safety First!!  And here we go...



Check your FD site for overhead power lines, and steer well clear of them.  If you plan to put up and guy a portable mast, make sure the guy ropes are clearly flagged so folks don't trip on them in the dark.  Some flashing red LEDs clipped to the ropes might be a good idea, too.

Using a generator for power?  Now, I know for sure that not a single one of my above average readers would ever be stupid enough to refuel a running (or still hot) generator, or to run one in an enclosed area, so I won't even mention it!   But don't forget that extension cords can present their own tripping hazards, and be sure to store gasoline safely away from any possible ignition sources.

Keep a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher handy, just in case.  And don't forget the sunscreen and bug spray!

And water.  For the past 25 or so years, my job at the Meriden (CT) Amateur Radio Club's Field Day effort has been Chief Cook.  I always make sure that the first thing in place when we begin setup on Friday, and the last thing packed after teardown on Sunday, is our 5-gallon water jug.  Stay hydrated!  And don't forget food safety, either.  Keep meats and other perishables refrigerated -- at least, in a cooler with plenty of ice -- until they are ready to cook.  Wash your hands often.  If there's no running water available, get a pack of baby wipes and a jar of hand sanitizer.

Now, if you've been reading my newsletter for any time at all, you probably know that after Ham Radio, my favorite subject is food!  So my job as Chief Cook is perfect for me.  And I just love cooking for the gang at Field Day.  I'd guess over the years I've probably cooked over 1,000 Hamburgers and at least as many Hot Dogs -- and no one has died from my cooking, at least as far as I know ;-)  In addition to burgers and dogs, one thing that folks tell me they look forward to is my world famous RoadKill™.

So I'm going to share the recipe with you.  Now keep in mind that this is the original recipe I started with 25 years ago.  You can run with it as is, but I do kinda improvise and change every year.  Some notes will follow below:

N1GNV's famous Quicksilver RoadKIll™

For the BBQ Sauce:

2 Tblspns canola oil
2 Tblspns chopped garlic
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
2 cups chopped green onion
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatos
1 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tblspns chili powder
1/2 tspn cayenne
2 tspns cumin
2 tblspns brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 tblspns lime juice

Saute garlic, onion, and green pepper. Then add all other ingredients. Cook
30-45 minutes. Thin with water, if necessary. Yields one quart.

For the pork:
5-6 lbs. boneless pork butt
Brush the meat with 1 cup of the BBQ sauce. Bake at 300 deg. for 5 hours,
until the meat falls apart. Let cool, then shred or chop it, and mix with
remaining sauce. Ladle mixture onto mini-onion rolls. Makes 10-12
sandwiches.

Notes and Changes:

Any large pork roast is ok.  Doesn't have to be boneless butt.
If you're serving other food like burgers and dogs, this is probably good for about 10 people.  Multiply accordingly.
No need for the rolls, but have bowls available, and forks or spoons.

Pretty much any good cooking oil is OK, I use olive oil since I always have it on hand.
Substitute sweet red peppers for green ones -- adds some sweetness, so I cut the brown sugar to one tbsp.  I figure 1 large red pepper is about 1/2 cup.
Substitute sweet Vidalia onions or similar for the green ones.  One very large one is about 2 cups, +/-.
One regular jar of chili sauce is close enough to a cup.
This year I'm going to try some maple syrup (REAL maple syrup, no Mrs Butterworth's or Aunt Jemima's please!) instead of the honey.

Instead of cooking the sauce, just saute the peppers, onions, and garlic, then put everything in a crock pot and cook on low.  Cut down a little on the pork roasting time.
If you have AC power at your site, just keep it on low to keep it hot.

That's it for this one, gang.  Next time, we'll continue looking at portable power.

73 for now
John Bee, N1GNV
Quicksilver Radio Products


No comments:

Post a Comment